Thursday, 30 May 2013

Thunder and Worship




The Dead Sea

I am listening to the rain and the thunder.The thunder here is spectacular. I don't watch horror movies but I think those who enjoy them feel the thrill I feel when I hear the thunder and my house is shaken. This place has some crazy storms. I wish it was just the scary thunder but there is this wind. Hei! The kind that topples trees like they are rootless and blows off mabati like they are nailless!  The roof of my colleague's house was blown off save for the part right over his bed. We were told that a tree fell on and killed four people. Isn't that terrible? Of course our storms here are like well, a storm in a tea cup when compared to tornadoes and hurricanes and tsunamis. You know the expression, 'feeling under the weather'? It takes a whole new meaning when you think of the people affected by the rage of nature.  I pray that the God who calms the storm is with the families of those who were affected. 

I am also watching/listening to Don Moen and Lenny LeBlanc. They are on stage TOGETHER! I am VERY happy. I'm sure you know them. I'm sure you know someone whose ringtone or ringback tone is, 'Above All'Yesterday, Lenny LeBlanc (I can't write just Lenny or Don. Reminds me what my pal from Malawi told me. If he hears an East African speaking English and he doesn't know if said person is from Kenya or Uganda, he'll know that it is a Kenyan because we link our words. So it is not Don space Moen, it is DonMoen. No space. Do you get what I mean? We say it like it is one long word. Other examples, Chief Justice, Since he said that, I keep hearing it and yes we do that). So LennyLeBlanc ;) was singing, 'There is none like you' and after he sang the chorus, Don Moen said that worship is two-way. We speak to God and He speaks to us. Then he asked LennyLeBlanc to sing the chorus again and for everyone to imagine that God is singing those words to them. Please do that. Beautiful. It was like they had read my last post! Hehehe. But really, it reminded me that indeed God does sing over you and over me. 

As I listen to them, I'm reminded how far I have strayed from the basics. A lot of their songs are just no-strings -attached worship. Think of, 'If I was a rainbow', 'I just want to be where You are etc. Just worshipping God for who He is. It has been a while since I did that. They reminded me that God is God. He should be worshipped. He deserves it no?  I like the ocean. I like to stare at it and its endlessness. It makes me realise how  big God is and how small I am. How small my problems, yes, my giants, are. They are small when confronted by the bigness of God.   When I listen to these songs and I worship God just because He Is, it reminds me of His greatness. Of my smallness. Of the significance I have before Him and because of Him. They reminded me to go back to the heart of worship. 






No comments:

Post a Comment